Is the error-message div inside the span? Just after it?

span div.error-message { display: none; }
span + div.error-message { display: none; }

I assume you're giving the span a classname, which would tighten up
those rules somewhat.

It may be better, though, to deal with this through Cake in the first
place, if possible.