In the code excerpt below.... When the function is first called  it is
called with 2 parameter values.   The user clicks the submit button on
the gui and the function is called a second time.  On this second call
where the user has filled out the forms in the view, only param1 has a
value and param2 is blank or null.  How can I have $param2 value
maintained on the when the function is called as a result of the user
submission.

FYI: in my situation, $param1 value is the $id of the model.

function edit($param1,$param2) {
        if (empty($this->data)) {
                               //allow users to fill out form
                 } else