Hi,
Here a quick 4-step primer to get better performance in cake

1. Specify var $recursive = 0; in your app/app_model.php
    This will cut off all automatic calls to hasMany& haBtm relationships by default. three-quarters of the time, I don't want those results - I simply need the belongsTo bindings.

2. Use the Containable behavior http://cakebaker.42dh.com/2008/05/18/new-core-behavior-containable/
With that you can easily set the models to pull, the level of recursion..

3. Use Wincachegrind and Xdebug to test after.

4. Avoid using so many App::import('Model',$modelName) in your components where possible.