In the cookie component there is:

$secure = false

If set to true, it will only allow you to write a cookie if the
connect is through an HTTPS connection.

But this flag has no impact on reading cookies.  The component
provides not method for ensuring that a cookie is only read under an
SSL connection.

Am I misunderstanding something?  If we secure the writing of the
cookie, don't we also need to secure the reading of that same cookie
to prevent hijacking?

Can someone explain why this SSL check for reading cookies isn't in
the Component code?

-Aran