Actually, I ran into this problem too[1], after debugging with alerts
inside prototype, I've discovered that the ajax helper is really
generating the same IDs. I've ended up with my own IDs, but this seems
like a ticket material, rand() should definitely be replaced with
mt_rand() to solve the problem permanently.

Also, I'm not sure if this is platform related, it happened to me on
several Windoze and Linux machines.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/64c39fce5097e10b?hl=xx-bork#