If you have mod_rewrite enabled and have uploaded "app", "cake",
"index.php", and ".htaccess" to your document root then it should just
work, with this being said, since you are still having problems then
you probably don't have mod_rewrite available to you.

You will need to disable cake from thinking mod_rewrite is avaiable.
You do this by uncommenting the line "define ('BASE_URL',
env('SCRIPT_NAME'));"

It should work after this point, if not, let us know.

-Erik