Have you tried phpinfo?

Sorry if this is beneath you, but create a file with the contents <?
php phpinfo() ?> make sure there are no spaces before or after the
chevrons. Save it as phpinfo.php and open it in your browser.

Search the results page for mod_rewrite (in apache2handler section,
loaded modules). If it isn't there, that's your problem. Then you'll
need to uncomment it in httpd.conf (or whatever your conf file is) and
restart Apache.

If it is there, then you probably have a dot file problem as described
by Lance.