It doesn't look like it.  I referenced HtmlHelper and FormHelper in
both my app_controller and its inheriting controller.  Once I removed
these references, nothing seemed to change with regards to the 9MB
leap from __construct to beforeFilter.  I'll go through and see if
something similar is happening with my $uses and $components arrays
though, just in case.