I found myself in an new situation. A table of aggregateable data
(StarSchema type of setup so this will be the source of the
aggregations) should ideally be updatable. Since it is a fact table
there will be a lot of data and I would love it if I could avoid some
queries.

Being able to tack on a "...ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE..." to the end of
my save would save me looking for existing rows before saving. New
ones would be created and existing ones would be updated. When just
the saves will be a few thousands per "day" aggregated data

I have resorted to writing the query manually for now but it would be
nice to be able to stay in the warm comfort of Cake methods. Has
anybody extended a model's save() in this way or anything similar I
can look at as a starting-point?

/Martin