So you're suggesting I move the following lines from /webroot/
cake_gateway.php

-- loadController (null);  see below
-- vendor('cakeamfphp'.DS.'amf-core'.DS.'app'.DS."CakeGateway"); see
below

into /webroot/index.php as

-- App::import('Controller', null);
-- App::import('Vendor', 'CakeGateway', null, null,
'cakeamfphp'.DS.'amf-core'.DS.'app'.DS."CakeGateway.php");

?

I would certainly appreciate some help here if there is more to it
than this. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!