This is a javascript problem and has nothing to do with cake.
Basically when your HTML response is injected into the page, the
script tags are not parsed and evaled.  There is an option to turn on
scriptEval or parseScripts for this somewhere in prototype.  I don't
know prototype well enough to say where though.

-Mark