Not sure if this will help you out or not, but I can explain what I've
done in our application.  I thought about a way to have the same user
under two different departments.  What I really starting thinking
about it though, I found it wasn't necessary (at least in my case).

I have something like this.

Aros
====
Department.1
-User.1
-User.2
Department.2
-User.3
-User.4

Acos
====
Department.1
-blog
-page
Department.2
-blog
-page

Now I can give Department.1 (Aro) access to Department.1 (Aco).  Now,
let's say User.1 (Aro) needs access to the same things that Department.
2 (Aro) has access to.  Because all my Aros are grouped by Departments
too...  Even though User.1 isn't a part of the Department.2 group, I
can still give User.1 access to the Aco Deparment.2.  Now User.1 has
access to everything that Department.2 has access to.

The only time I can think of where this might be a problem is if you
wanted to give Department.2 (Aro) access to Department.3 (Aco).  User.
1 (Aro) won't have access to it unless you say it can. It will still
only have access to Department.2.

In your case you could set up a structure like this:

Aros
====
Millennium Falcon
-Crew
--Han
--Chewie
-Passangers
--Luke
--R2D2

Acos
====
Guns
Engines
Lounge
Cockpit

Now Crew (Aro) could have access to everything.  Passangers could have
access to Lounge.  And R2D2 could have access to Guns and Engines.

Another good way to think about...  There can't be more than one of me
in this world.  Having more than one of me would be trouble.  I have
access to my job and my office.  If I get fired I shouldn't have
access to it anymore, but if there were two of me, even though I got
fired, I might still have access to my job and office.  It's bad
news.  The same goes for the ACL.  There should never be two Hans...
there's only one, that can have access to many different things.

Hope that's not to confusing.  Hope it helps.