I searched the archives of this group and never found an answer to
this question.

Suppose I have a page that is access via the URL
http://www.mydomain.com/mycontroller/5

There is nothing to stop a user from changing the URL to
http://www.mydomain.com/mycontroller/6
and viewing a different record.

What is preferred method for securing the parameters in a URL so that
users can not change the parameter value and walk through all the
records in a table?  I thought about maybe using a UUID for the
parameter or possibly hashing the parameter value.  Is there a better
or preferred method for handling this type of situation?  Is there
something built into version 1.2 to handle this?  I have a legacy
application that was built using 1.1 and would like to start planning
to upgrade to 1.2.

thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.