Hi lauren,

> Before I finally discovered that there were replies to my
> question :)....I did end up going with a similar solution in order to
> avoid "hackiness".
>
> Which actually brings me to another question:
>
> Should the following work?:
>
> Account has many Purchase
> Purchase belongs to Account
>
> $this->Account->id = 1;
> $this->Account->read();
>
> $this->Account->Purchases->find('unpaid');

there's no 'magic' method called 'unpaid', there's only:

first - grabs a single record
all - grabs all records
threaded - grabs a simple tree
list - gets a name/value pair array

what you want to do is easy though, with a single call, try:

$this->Account->Behaviors->attach('Containable');

$account = $this->Account->find('first', array(
       'conditions'=>array('Account.id' => $account_id),
       'contain'=>array(
               'Payment'=>array('conditions'=>array(
                                        'Payment.status'=>'pending'
       )))