Thank you both. I decided to try installing Cake on my ISP instead of
running it on my own PC. They asked me to send in photo ID before
they'd let me use the system services I'd need to complete the
install. Not very reassuring.

So, I tried installing CodeIgniter and had it up 15 minutes after I
started Googling for it. We Windows types may complain about our
environment, but we are used to just downloading, installing, and
running stuff. It seems normal to us. If CakePHP was anything like
that it would probably rule the world.