I think the manual sums it up pretty nicely:

"Realize that ACL is not the same as authentication. ACL is what
happens after a user has been authenticated. Although the two are
usually used in concert, it's important to realize the difference
between knowing who someone is (authentication) and knowing what they
can do (ACL). "