Dunno about 'best', but this works:

In your view (search.ctp)

<?php echo $form->create("Model", array("action"=>"search",
"type"=>"get") ?>
<?php echo $form->input("search_for") ?>
<?php echo $form->end("Search") ?>

<?php foreach($results as $result) : ?>
... output your result here
<?php endif; ?>

In your controller:

function search() {

                if (isset($this->params['url']['search_for'])) {

                        $scope = array("@[EMAIL PROTECTED] LIKE
'".$this->params['url']
['search_for']."%'");

                }