I was still having a problem with it because I created my own
pages_controller.php.  Once I copied the default one from /cake/libs/
controller/pages_controller.php and added the snippets posted here, I
was able to override the display action and all my "pages" didn't
require authorization, while at the same time still have the Auth
component work in the background.