I've built an administration site in CAKE and would like to add simple
email capability so emails sent and received are attached to the
clients in the system. Not sure what the best route would be. Do I
link it to a web-based mail client, or do I use a mail engine and put
the viewing/creating/deleting of emails straight into my CAKE app?
Requirements are:

1. Can receive emails by accessing an encrypted pop3 connection.

2. Can store emails in a database (with at least email address,
subject and timestamp in separate fields from content)

2. Can send via encrypted smtp (not localhost) plain text emails and
also store them in the database.

3. All sent and received emails are linked to a client table.

Any advice would be very appreciated.