The URL /test implies /test/index, which means Cake will look for this:

app/controllers/test_controller.php (needs to have function index())
app/views/test/index.ctp (or .thtml for Cake 1.1)

app/views/layouts/default.ctp is optional, you don't need it in the
beginning. Eventually you will want to customize it of course, but not
having it means Cake uses the built in layout which means one less
point of failure.

The app/views/pages/ directory is for the Pages controller, which
comes with Cake, which is supposed to be used for static pages you
don't need a controller for.

Chrs,
Dav

PS: It'll get better after a week or two, just don't tear your hair
out until then.
In a month you'll wonder how you could ever live without Cake. ;o)