Hi there,

I would like to ask 2 questions, both regarding the layout and views.

a) After installing cake 1.2 and accessing my localhost domain, I get
to see the cake info page and everything works fine. If i access a url
that is lacking the underlying controller or view, I get to see cake's
error message about the corresponding view file missing etc. When I
create my own template under /app/views/layout/default.ctp, it all
works fine but whenever I hit invalid urls (as above) nothing happens
(i.e. i still get to see my default template but without the error
messages). I read somewhere that by overriding the default.ctp layout
file, you are effectively changing every page that cake would render,
so perhaps I'm missing some variables in my layout? (e.g
$content_for_layout, $title_for_layout etc?)

b) I have been given all the templates for an application by a web
designer. Let's say that the default layout consists of a header, a
menu, the 'main body' and a footer. What is the correct approach for
breaking this down in cake ? I assume that my default layout should
contain the common elements that are always present (i.e header, menu,
footer), and all other views will be rendered within the 'main body'
section of the layout. However if this is the case, it would mean that
the actual layout, in the header section should also contain code
like:

if(session) print "hello $user"
else show login link.

This somehow feels wrong. Should i have code like that in my layout ?
What is the best practice for using a default template and some views?

thanks a lot,
jason