Hi,
You already covered most suggestion I might have had, but I thought I
would post what I get when I write the same syntax.
My installation of php and CakePHP 1.2 rc2 produces this type of
output for any syntax error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /Users/martin/Sites/cake/
great/config/core.php on line 43

I am running Apples Apache on a Mac. If I remember correctly the *AMP
setups often offer accelerators for php. Is one of them active in your
setup?

Try to output phpinfo() from "inside" Cake and compare to a raw
phpinfo without the framework loaded. That could yield some small
configuration change.