Weights belongsTo both Categories and Courses
Categories hasMany Weights
Courses hasMany Weigths

BelongsTo means the model that belongsTo something also has the
foreign keys "in itself" (Weights.course_id).
For hasMany THE OTHER model is supposed to have the foreign key
(Courses hasMany Weights, so Courses will look for a
Weights.category_id that matches its own id).

Behold my ASCII art: ;-)

                       /---- Weight.category_id
Category.id ----- Weight.category_id
                       \---- Weight.category_id

HasMany and belongsTo are the two sides you need for a single-many
relationship.
hasAndBelongsToMany expresses a many-many relationship, with both
models havingAndBelongingToMany.
A hasOne-belongsTo pair would be a one-one relationship.

Does that help?