Thanks for the ref to the video - it'a another nifty way of
reorganizing things but I have the thing working properly without
'myappdir' in the picture. I'm just trying to set it up so that folks
who come into the site using the old link structure get properly and
transparently mapped to the new structure without the 'myappdir'
business.

I have tried doing this with a route such as:
Router::connect('/myappdir/:controller/:action/*', array('controller'
=> ':controller', 'action' => ':action'));

and it works, somewhat. The problem is any links I created with
$html->link('Name', array('controler'=> 'controllername', 'action' =>
'actionname'))

now show up with myappdir within them!

If I specify a link as in
$html->link('Name', array('/controllername/actionname''))

then myappdir is NOT in the generated link. It appears the URL
function generates different results based on how I pass in the SAME
parameters (array vs path) when that route rule is in effect.

There's gotta be an easy way to specify this in the .htaccess - it's
just killing me!