The best way is to localize the *content* on all your pages, and leave
the URLs alone. Provide your users with a method of switching locales
(i.e. a link), which calls an AppController function / Component /
Whatever which then sets the proper locale using Configure::write().
Your static content on your pages will then be properly translated,
and without any additional URL manipulations.

You might have already read this, but regardless:
http://book.cakephp.org/view/163/Internationalization-in-CakePHP

There are also several very good threads on issues similar to this one
elsewhere in the google group.

-J.