What you probably want to do is take a look at what you have in the
$books array at the end of your controller. A quick and dirty way is
to put a var_dump($books); as last statement in your controller
function. The contents will then show up at the top of your view.
Check if the ['Author']['name'] data is there.
Does it work without recursive=1? (My guess is the problem is to do
with the Author table and your model definition)

FYI, the htmlhelper::tableCells & tableHeaders functions are nice for
generating tables. :)

I believe also that the preferred way in cakephp 1.2 to optimize
database calls is to use containable behavior. ie.
replace
$this->Book->recursive = 1;
with
$this->Book->contain('Author');

http://cakebaker.42dh.com/2008/05/18/new-core-behavior-containable/

But try getting it to work first without optimization.