Hey Adam, thanks. Here's how I'm setup:

core.php
Configure::write('App.encoding', 'UTF-8')

database.php
(I don't see a place to specify UTF-8)

MySQL
utf8_general_ci

default.ctp (head section)
<?php echo $html->charset('UTF-8') ?>

Am I missing anything?

When you say to make sure all of my code is utf8 compliant (eg string
conversions), what do you mean? Can you be more specific?

I think users of my site are entering curly quotes, which are saved to
the db, then come out as garbage when displayed in HTML.

-Ryan