I too have battled with this, so went hunting....

I found this explanation that I think is fairly clear!

The $this pseudo-variable provides a mechanism for objects to refer to
their own properties and methods. Outside of an object, there is a
handle you can use to access its elements.
Inside an object, there is no such handle, so you must fall back on
$this. If you find $this confusing, try replacing it in your mind with
the current instance when you encounter it in code.

You can access public object properties using the object operator '-
>'. So $en->type means the $type property of the Dictionary object
referenced by $en. If you can access a property, it means that you can
set and get its value.

HTH - Dave Porter