Thanks for clarifying this.

On a side note, there's something fishy about the fact that the
following doesn't yield what I expected:

In the head tag section of default.ctp:
        <?php $html->css(array('general'), null, null, false); ?>
        <?php echo $scripts_for_layout ?>

The output doesn't contain the Link tag.

Could it be because the render method is run statically

Marc