Just tested with some UTF-8 Japanese and it works, so it's not a
problem in general.
I'd investigate along the same lines as this recent thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/0ea507c127fd2ab9

Try a simple echo "Descripción"; from anywhere.
Does that display correctly on the page?