I don't know if this have changed in recent vesions (I use older one -
1663), but when I need to translate some application to another language
I do this way ( for example for my (lithuanian) language):

create directory cake/app/locale/lit/LC_MESSAGES/
put here file "default.po"
contents of this file should be like this:

msgid "January"
msgstr "Sausis"

msgid "February"
msgstr "Vasaris"