I've been using SVN with CakePHP for 2 years now, and it works great
together.

I run Eclipse as my IDE on Windows, and use TortoiseSVN as my desktop
client. I also have the SVN plugin for Eclipse.

My repository setup is simple.

/svn/trunk/website_name/...
/svn/branch/branch_version/website_name/...

I do all my work off the trunk, and then move files to branches as I
reach milestones. Some people do it the reverse, working off a branch
and then merging with the trunk as they reach milestones. It's up to
you to figure out which is best.

I found that TortoiseSVN allows me to quickly add files to the ignore
list of SVN. Things like the cake temp folder for example.