I know your uploading to MySQL, but it might be the php engine that
iss cutting you off.
Check max_upload_size in php.ini, it might be set to 1 MB.

My site's db only uses a Medium blob, and as you can see I have a 1.3
MB file, among others.
1       [BLOB - 23.7 KiB]
1       [BLOB - 715 B]
1       [BLOB - 13.7 KiB]
1       [BLOB - 255.0 KiB]
1       [BLOB - 1.3 MiB]
1       [BLOB - 756.8 KiB]

And here is the sql i used to create the table. I made no other
special settings. you'll notice it is a binary table though

CREATE TABLE `digbiz_project_files` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `project_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `user_id` bigint(20) NOT NULL,
  `name` varchar(75) collate utf8_bin NOT NULL,
  `type` varchar(255) collate utf8_bin NOT NULL,
  `size` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `data` mediumblob NOT NULL,
  `created` datetime default NULL,
  `modified` datetime default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  KEY `project_id` (`project_id`),
  KEY `user_id` (`user_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin
AUTO_INCREMENT=9 ;

How did you come up with the 999kb limit? Are you sure it is not
related to the time (php timing out etc)

How do you move the file from the temporary uploaded location to the
db?

Regards,

Eddie