After spinning my wheels for a few hours on this one, any help would be very
appreciated...

I have an 'Item' model:

class Item extends AppModel {
  var $name = 'Item';
  var $hasAndBelongsToMany = 'Label';
}

A 'Label' model:

class Label extends AppModel {
  var $name = 'Label';
  var $hasAndBelongsToMany = 'Item';
}

And an 'items_labels' join table:

CREATE TABLE `items_labels` (
  `item_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `label_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `created` datetime default NULL
);

I cannot figure out how to save a simple record (association) to the join
table. I just don't understand what I need to put in my
'labels_controller.php' to get this result, for example:

INSERT INTO `database_name`.`items_labels` (`item_id`, `label_id`,
`created`) VALUES ('1', '1', NOW());

After many failed attempts, I'm back to an empty action:

function update($item_id, $label_id) {

}

In addition to save(), help with delete() would also be appreciated.

And not sure if it has any bearing on the solution, but for this action, I
am not concerned with any of the records in the 'items' or 'labels' tables.

Many thanks!

-Ryan