I think it would be possible to write the core of the application as a
plugin, but distribute it inside of an application that provides the
front-end.  This would serve the purpose of (a) appealing to a mass
market by making it a working application out of the box, (b)
providing a plugin for CakePHP developers to integrate into their own
apps, and (c) an example application that demonstrates how to
integrate said plugin, for the benefit of those who wish to do so.

I think a lot of re-distributable CakePHP apps could benefit from
being designed like this.  Anyway, something to think about.