I build and test all my code as a normal controller.
I create a normal view for my normal action which will show me the
contents of the /view/elements/email/html/ view.
The contents of this view are:
<?php
        echo $this->renderElement('email/html/projectemail');
?>

This allows me to view the email from the browser by calling my
controller/action (Profiles/notify)

Then from my shell, I can simply setup enough of the environment to
call my controllers action the same way I would have from the browser.

App::import('Core', array('Controller','Component',
'View','Model','Router'));
App::import('Component', 'Email');
App::import('Controller', array('Profiles','Projects'));
App::import('Model','Profile');

//And then I create a Controller object since I already have the
action built and working from a controller.
        function initialize() {
                $this->ProfileController =& new ProfilesController();
                $this->ProfileController->uses = array('Profile','User');
                $this->ProfileController->Profile =& new Profile();
                $this->ProfileController->Project =& new Project();
                $this->ProfileController->Email =& new EmailComponent(null);

$this->ProfileController->Email->startup($this->ProfileController);
                $this->_loadModels();
    }

//And then call the controllers action.
        function send(){