No I did try that. The physical path was added by the server or
somehow my account is setup.

The RewriteBase did give me success !!!!!!

I'll just share part of the process for future people that may find
the same problem.

First of all the [R] that I talked about in my second post helped me
debug this a little more.

I needed to use the RewriteBase to strip off the physical address. I
now have the following .htaccesses

#/cake1.2/.htaccess
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteBase /cake1.2
   RewriteRule    ^$ app/webroot/    [L]
   RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1 [L]
</IfModule>

#/cake1.2/app/.htaccess
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /cake1.2/app
    RewriteRule    ^$    webroot/    [L]
    RewriteRule    (.*) webroot/$1    [L]
 </IfModule>

#/cake1.2/app/webroot/.htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

    RewriteBase /cake1.2/app/webroot
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

What also helps debug is to make a backup of the original index.php in
webroot and replace it with something simple like I did in my second
post. This reduced the the problem set to just the htaccess and
defines I needed to tell where cake directories were.

Thanks a ton.
-T