Hello everybody

I keep my struggle to learn the cake "way" (not carlitos' way). Please
suppose I have the following

in my add view ORDERS

echo $form->input('item_id');

which returns the field name in a select due to the association, and
is working fine, where item_id is my foreign key.

bellow on the same view...

echo $form->input('value');

I would like cake to ONCHANGE event ($form->input('item_id');)
suggest a value to  $form->input('value'); based on values read from
ITEMS table.

I have done this without ajax in non-cake projects, reading all ITEMS
with names and values, maintaining the data in a array, assembling the
select input based on valued and ONCHANGE displaying the value using

I wish to know how would you guys resolve a similar problem but
besides I would like to learn what happens behind the scenery when you
do echo $form->input('item_id'); and cake brings bake the field "name"
in the select.

any help or direction would be more than appreciated.

Carlos