I'm having a similar problem as you two and I found this thread after
a quick search:
http://groups.google.de/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/58c30b3c249dca19/501031b9492346ee?lnk=gst&q=validation+message#501031b9492346ee

It says you should use $form->input with type=select instead of the
$form->select. (Alternatively you'd have to create labels and error
messages for your select tag yourself.)
I could not try this out yet but it seems to do what you want to be
done.