It may not index a 404, but it still checks the 404.  For usability's
sake I'd still prefer to redirect than to send a 404.  Although we
were discussing bots, we have to keep the user in mind as well.  I
have personally traversed the URL path to see what may be found on
some sites, and if Safari has the feature included out of the box,
well...I'd rather present the user with something than nothing at all,
and a 404 isn't my idea of proper degredation within the path.  Either
way, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Google was not the first search engine to incorporate robots.txt by
the way...they were the first to incorporate the rel="nofollow" and
also I think the SiteMap.xml idea.