Resolved.

>From much searching I discovered that a single white space was being
added to the front of my xml.
Even more research directed me to the conclusion that any spaces
before <?php or after ?> in your php will cause this.

I did some grepping and found that, for some reason, all of my tabs
had been converted into 5 white spaces per tab.
NEAT!

A simple search for 5 spaces and replace each instance with a single
tab and we're set.

Remember, any controller, model or view in your application can cause
this.

Quite the tedious little roadblock.