Ok, so maybe this is where I was confused. if ever I want a set of
radio buttons, I should use the form->input? Is this true for all form
widgets (check box, text box, etc.)

Then what is $form->radio ($fieldName, $options=array(),
$attributes=array()). I'm fine with using the input. I'm just confused
then what the form->radio is used for. (end user override?)
http://book.cakephp.org/view/727/radio

And looking at the example below you specify a Model.field. If I'm not
using a model, can I use just a different string? I'm getting the
impression yes, but don't want to go down the wrong path.

Thank you for your help.
-TM