I guess in the controller you can "try" to validate the formdata
first, instead of just "save". "$this->Model->try();" is a method that
does "save" without the eventual saving, but it does return a Boolean
whether the formdata is valid or not.
Depending on that result you can either render('nextPage', 'ajax'); or
render('formPageWithErrorMessages', 'ajax');

/Bart