Try this

http://debuggable.com/posts/testing-models-in-cakephp---now-let's-get-rid-of-the-unnecessary-modeltest-classes-!:4890ed55-be28-4d4a-ba4c-7fd64834cda3

I posted some code Oct 14 (scroll down in the comments) that might help
you. Testing does work (and works very well) but is particularly
sensitive to naming / positioning of files etc - and the contents of
those files, especially $fixtures. Your fixtures and cases need to be in
the right place with the right content (obviously!)

You probably want to review your $fixtures list to ensure all
appropriate test data (related models) are loaded so you can test
successfully to the fullest extent.

You might also find that bugs in your test code / actual code can cause
the default app layout screen to pop up telling you as much. If you have
dependencies in your default layout (eg models loaded by app_controller)
these can pop up and complain when in fact they are a bit of a red
herring masking what the real problem is.

I used to get this sporadic behaviour described below but it is almost
certainly your configuration. Another hint - forget controllers testing
completely until you can get Model testing working perfectly

It is very cool when you see all your models testing to 100% coverage
with xDebug.