Yes cake can do that. Essentially you will have your news view, and it
will have that layout like built in.  Then in the controller after
doing some sort of check to see what variable in the url has been
set , like a number that corresponds to a news article, then the
controller will be like hey model give me the news for this id. The
model will send it back and using $this->set in the controller it will
then set that variable to be able to be used in the view. So for
example $this->set('article',$variable['New']['article']); the reason
it is New and not News is because of the naming conventions that cake
has, but those can be changed if you want to. Then in the view it
would have your layout , and wherever you wanted to say display the
article you would just go <? echo($article); ?> bam your article is
posted right there, inside of your static layout.