We had to do something similar on a project that required a dynamic
workflow setup where the client needed to be able to change workflows
at anytime. We had a "Workflow" model that defined different workflows
for things like articles, requests, tickets, or what have you and then
a "WorkflowStep" model that detailed the specific steps that were for
a workflow. An article may start as a draft, then be moved to pending
and finally live.

So, Workflow had many WorkflowStep. From there we made the HABTM table
of "workflow_steps_workflow_steps" which was where we laid out the
allowed steps a current step could go to; draft to pending, pending to
draft, pending to live, etc. It's really not as confusing as it sounds
once you start playing with it. You have to write your code a little
bit differently but yeah, it can be done.