Hi David,

Correct, both register and login work correctly.

YES :) That explains it! But within my app_controller I have the Auth
component redirecting to users/index after a successful login.

To solve this problem, I've placed this code in my login() function:
$this->Session->del('Auth.redirect');

to kill the redirect from Auth and just go back to the login screen to
logon with registered credentials.

Thanks for your help