Good post..I have same problem...It's working but in my case
entity_type_id is not saving in entities_tags tabel...

 Currently I am using it only in

*Teacher Model*
<?php
class Teacher extends AppModel {

    var $name = 'Teacher';

    var $hasAndBelongsToMany = array(
            'Tag' => array (
                'className' => 'Tag',
                'joinTable' => 'entities_tags',
                'foreignKey' => 'entity_id',
                'associationForeignKey' => 'tag_id',
                'conditions' => 'entity_type_id = 1'
            )
    );

}

?>

here 'entity_type_id  is always saving 0 but it must be save 1 in
database...

Please tell me where should I define 'entity_type_id  = 1  other than
relation ship so that it can be save.