Thanks for your reply; I also had another (private) reply suggesting
that SwiftMailer (http://swiftmailer.org/) would be a good fit. It
doesn't have DB-based mail queuing as such, but it does have AntiFlood
(http://swiftmailer.org/wikidocs/v3/plugins/antiflood) to prevent
killing the SMTP server. Several people seem to have intergrated it
well with CakePHP (eg
http://blog.aboutme.be/2008/05/07/cakephp-swiftmailer-3-component/).

So, I'll try that out and see how it goes I think!