I'm using debug mode 1, and I've even tried production mode in cake
1.2x and the performance is still poor.  I ran
xdebug on the code and it appears to be a group of functions really
sucking up time:

Folder->read = 19.15% (591 calls)
Folder->__tree = 9.12%  (590 calls)
php::array_merge = 8.71% (1348 calls)
Folder->slashTerm = 7.69% (3413 calls)
Folder->addPathElement  = 4.42% (3312 calls)
php::preg_match = 3.81% (12008 calls)

That's like 51% of runtime..